When the plants emerge and bloom, announcing the arrival of spring. Together we'll track changes in seasons and climate around the world.
How to get involved:
Plant Your Garden
Because this is an experiment, all gardens must be planted in the same way:
- Use Red Emperor tulip bulbs
- Plant in an open area, away from foundations or pavement
- Bury bulbs 7 inches deep, pointed side up
Use the checklist to find the perfect spot!
Report from Your Garden
Report to Journey North three times:
1. Date the garden is planted.
2. Date your first tulip emerges.
3. Date your first tulip blooms
Use this Link to Report
"Each fall, people across the Northern Hemisphere plant Red Emperor tulip bulbs in Journey North Test Gardens to help monitor seasonal change in a scientific way. In the spring, when the plants emerge and bloom, test gardeners report their data to the maps. One garden at a time, the relationship between climate, geography and the greening of spring is revealed."