Halton Environmental Network (HEN) strives to make the community of Halton a region with educated citizens, engaged stakeholders and best practice policies for climate change mitigation, adaptation and environmental sustainability.
Who We Are
Established in 2004, HEN is an incorporated non-profit organization operating in Halton Region (Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills). HEN supports and enhances the capacity for local climate action and environmental sustainability across our community. HEN brings together relevant parties to drive change and facilitates communication, cooperation, resources and alignment with Community members, Conservation Authorities, Non-profits, Faith-Based Organizations), Government, and Educational Sector.
HEN has successfully implemented several programs including Halton Green Screens, Greening Sacred Spaces Halton-Peel, Generation Green, the HEN Food Loss Initiative, and the OakvilleReady. HEN is also the backbone agency of the Halton Climate Collective.
HEN provides workshops, community educational outreach programmes, and waste diversion and mitigation initiatives for organizations and businesses and at events. Environmental email bulletin, schools programs, educational environmental community programs, greening/gardening programmings, community gardens, environmental and energy audits, booths at public events, general community support.
HEN ensures that climate remains at the top of the agenda at all levels of government and with diverse community stakeholders. We are proud of our contributions to, and role in:
- 5 Municipal Climate Emergency declarations in Halton
- Oakville Community Energy Task Force
- Burlington Climate Action Stakeholder Committee
- Ensuring community gardens were deemed an essential service
- Educating and supporting the community with food gardens
- Being the backbone agency of the Halton Climate Collective
- Engaging youth with Generation Green
- Working on climate adaptation with the OakvilleReady program
- Propelling change and inspiring action with Halton Green Screens and our work with ArtHouse
- Supporting large community events with free waste mitigation (Oakville Children’s Festival, Conservation Halton Hops & Harvest Festival, Kerrfest, the Canadian Open)
- Leading the 100 Debates for the Environment in all five ridings in Halton, with valued partners such as the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW).
We don't just talk about Climate Change, We Drive Solutions!